GS1000    page 4

Assembly

Good news and bad news regarding the motor. The mechanic has set all the shim clearances, fitted a battery and got the thing started ;-) He was really happy with the way it was running, and didn't have to fiddle too much with the ignition timing. The carbs were also balanced, and he's confident the exhaust will pass the Roadworthy.

So. The bad news is that there's a "significant" oil leak at the left rear base gasket :-(. I knew I'd put the key-hole shape o-rings in, because I had a look back at all the pics that were taken, and it was there. We were thinking that it may have twisted or the gasket might have been riding up on it or something. Anyway, it looked like a big job to find out what was going on.

The bike was bought back here, and I started to think of how I could fix it without pulling the motor out of the frame again. It seems there might be enough clearance to pull the head and lift the barrels with the motor in place after all, so this was the first plan of attack.

please be patient. The images are hosted by photobucket and may take a little while to download. It will be worth the wait :-)

I managed to lift the barrels enough to expose the o-ring, but still couldn't determine what had happened. It seemed a little 'loose' in the housing, but other than that it looked ok.

I pulled the corner studs out and degreased and cleaned the o-rings and the housings.

please be patient. The images are hosted by photobucket and may take a little while to download. It will be worth the wait :-)

I ran a bead of three-bond on the bottom edge of the o-ring and placed it in it's housing, then did the same to the top edge. The barrels were lowered carefully, and the head was put back on and tensioned down again. I'm going to let it set up over night, and start her up again in the morning.

I'm hoping this has fixed our problem.

Step 2: Get another Head gasket :-(

Unfortunately the head gasket didn't survive the process, and leaked worse than the base did originally. The good news is the leak at the base seems to have been fixed.

Step 3: Rip the head off without disturbing the base gasket seal, and install the new head gasket.

Step 4:

please be patient. The images are hosted by photobucket and may take a little while to download. It will be worth the wait :-)

Having the motor running has revealed an issue with the tacho. It didn't work. The cable was spinning OK, so it was getting drive, so the problem must have been with the gauge itself. After pulling it apart to investigate I found the 'bearing' at the base of the needle was worn so much it was allowing the shaft to foul on the housing. Fortunately I had an old Honda mechanism lying around, and it was a direct swap into the Suzuki housing, and we have contact! I also think the Honda revs are better value for money ;-)

image
TOP